Jan 26, 2019

Season of Rabbit Tracks

Tis the season of the rabbit tracks.  Our ancestors did the gah naalzheeh.  They went out hunting for rabbits.  Have any of you in the modern times hunted rabbit?  I have hunted rabbit one time.  It really was not a hunt, but we followed and chased a gahlbahi.  We ran after it.  It went into a hole.  We tried to catch it.  We failed.  That was my one experience.  So that might qualify me to say that I have hunted rabbit.  Tis is the season of hunting rabbits.  With all the polluted lands of today, I am not so sure that hunting rabbits is safe.  Companies like the international energy giant, Peabody Coal Company, have polluted our lands and left their ash.  They don't even want to be responsible and clean it up.  Former Navajo Nation Council Delegate Lorenzo Bates was trying to get NTEC, the Navajo Nation enterprise, to purchase NGS to save the company from extinction.  (NTEC in negotiation to take over NGS)  I guess they have not heard that the market for coal energy has waned.  No more NGS.  I think its good for the Dine.  The shutdown makes us re-evaluate the decisions of our past leaders, and how those decisions were not always the best decisions.  A lot of those decisions were made with pressure from outside politicians.  But on the other hand, I guess we can be grateful for those decisions because those decisions have allowed us as Dine to exist into the present.  As for the rabbit hunt, I hope that we can return to a time when our children hunt rabbits again, not necessarily to subsist, but for the teachings and culture associated with the rabbit hunt.  After all, a rabbit hunt is just not a rabbit hunt.

No comments: